A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY
We would like to thank the Lighthorne History Society for helping us with this valuable information about the pub.
You can find them at http://www.lighthornehistory.org.uk
AN EARLY 18th CENTURY BUILDING
It is built of squared coursed limestone with an old tile
hipped roof. It has an L plan, with a wing on the right
to the rear. Photographs, taken around 1910, show
that the pub used to have a door in the centre of the
front elevation. To the left of the door, was part of
the domestic accommodation, the bar being to
the right. There was a hallway between the two.
The lean to building on the right, with a pitched roof,
apparent in the early postcards, was a manger which
also served as a laying out room for the dead. This
lean to building was replaced with flat roofed porch in
the 20th century. The porch and doorway which form
the current entrance are mid to late 20th century
and the well is a 1990s decorative feature.
THE FIRST RECORD OF THE PUB
The first record so far is the Declaration of the
Commutation of Tithes, dated 1838, in which the pub
and associated cottages and buildings are rated at
£12.10s for the support of the poor of the parish.
The pub paid a tithe to the church of one shilling,
probably in respect land held, rather than as a pub.
Joshep Lattimer was the publican and the signatory to
the deed. The Lattimers, who seem to have been
related to the Hunt family, held it until some time in the
mid 1890s. Mr. James Healey had taken over by 1896.
THE STORY BEHIND THE SIGN
The depiction of the antelope on the pub sign is taken
from the badge of the Warwickshire Regiment.
The antelope is standing on a strip of six pieces. This
is said to be the six feet turf representingthe old name
of the 6th Regiment of Foot. The old Regiments of Foot
were given county affinities on June 30th 1881, to
encourage recruitment and provide a positive identity.
The 6th chose Warwickshire as they had been
recruiting there and had been stationed there twice
in ten years prior to 1881.